I have been meaning to do a self check of this list for a couple of weeks now, but the trip home (yes, the second this year) and life in general, have gotten in the way.. My last update was in March (the first quarter), in reference to my first post at the beginning of the year. It just feels but fitting to check on how I’m doing from time to time to actually get things going. So where are we so far?
1. Read six books. – Progress… I actually managed to finish a book while in Manila (Yay!) and am hoping to get on with my second… and I am positive I will make the 6 as promised. It was actually refreshing to work through a book at a leisurely pace (read: mostly bathroom reading) and still enjoy a fresh read. I have some serious material to go through in the next couple of weeks and hope to do some real reading to complete my goal of 6.
2. Take a trip to visit old girlfriends from SPCP/SPCQC — on my own — so that’s either Boston or California. – With two trips home and hardly any vacation days left, I’m going to edit this one and revise it to be just a simple meet up nearby — for now. Planning something with some fellow Paulinians in my neck of the woods in the next couple of weeks. Maybe a brunch or drinks? Just to reconnect.
3. Do another craft fair and learn new techniques. (Visit one, not sell in one.) – There’s only one more left for the year from my favorite craft fair organizers, Heirloom Productions, and it’s this October in York, PA. So I’m a little iffy about even going given that I have a ton of craft projects on my planning board right now — and going will be craft heaven for me, but it will throw my current plans out of whack. So unless there’s a craft fair closer to home, I think I will end up passing up on this one.
4. Take my little guy to ComicCon 2015. (A request that was made in March and which Mommy committed to make happen.. ) – I would’ve wanted to buy tickets early but I wasn’t able to. (Epic fail, I know..) But all hope is not lost — I’m still waiting on Midtown Comics to announce when they will sell tickets — and I’m almost afraid to even make a plan to go and grab a pair for my little guy and I when they do. Everyone — and I mean EVERYONE — seems to be waiting on the big day because they are the only source for tickets this year that will still sell any. Best effort..
5. Take at least one actual class beyond online. (Yes, Elaine.) – With the fall term coming upon me soon, I need to make a decision. In the past couple of weeks, I’ve made a decision to try and learn how to sew, but I need to have my sewing machine serviced first. (I do well by hand, but I need the real deal to make what I hope to make.)
6. Watch at least 1 concert — hopefully Billy Joel’s at Madison Square Garden.. – It looks like Billy Joel won’t be this year. Still hopeful.. still planning.
7. Watch at least 1 play or musicale on Broadway. And I saw God… =) Actually made a spur of the moment decision (budget be damned!) to watch “ACT OF GOD” with the fabulous Jim Parsons via TKTS. I landed on the front row and right in the middle within kissing and spitting distance, but so LOVED every moment of it.
8. Go to the gym at least once a week — and maybe even earn a locker! (Go 10x the previous month and you get YOUR OWN LOCKER the following month.) – Uhm.. next please.
9. Lose another 10 lbs at least before April. (Lost over 20 in 2014!) – While I had managed to keep my weight at bay through most of the middle of the year, the trip home always throws me off and I am currently in the process of trying to lose all that I gained. Not a happy topic to discuss but I’m not killing myself over this one. It’ll happen — soon enough.
10. Tweet/Instagram at least one positive thought every week. (I thought “everyday” would be too big a commitment to make.) – I haven’t been keeping tabs, but I think I’ve been pretty good with this one.
11. Find a rehearsal studio and actually spend an hour just touching the piano keys again. – Music sheet… check. Rehearsal studio research… check. (Found me one nearby..) BUT — haven’t quite gotten down to this. Promise, before winter.
12. Spend a Saturday a month, on my own,just roaming NYC or some other place nearby. (Do something “only in New York”..) – This, I’m very proud to say, I’ve been very good at. Even made it to Brooklyn Heights last weekend.. YAY!
13. Leave one preloved book out in the open once a month for someone else to enjoy/read. – It’s probably because I’m such a book lover that I find it so hard to part with my books — at all. But again, I want to get this going, specially in the spirit of finding a home for the books I would rather not keep.
14. Destash: Give 5 items away from my current stash (clothes, books, art supplies, postcards) every month. – Still trying to get this down pat… like I had written a few months back, I have been good with the “give away” part, but have been slow on the 5. I have successfully set aside half a balikbayan box full of Angelo’s clothes — time to do mine again. I did a first wave sweep in March before my first trip home April 2015, but I have been finding others that I need to give away to someone else who would have better use of it. Plus I’ve been shrinking in size, so I need to stick to the smaller and leaner me…
15. Write one letter long-hand every month. – Yes, still happily writing.
While most of my list remains in the “to do” section of my life, I think I’ve made quite a bit of progress given where I was last year. I’ll say it again, I’m in a much better and happier place. One of the lessons I’ve learned is that “better” is not always synonymous with “happier”. But that doesn’t mean they cannot be used in the same sentence or spoken in the same breath. It’s a matter of choice, a matter of priorities — namely, prioritizing yourself above the other more important things you feel should go before you even think of you. And after a long, long while when I thought self sacrifice was the ultimate in motherhood and a person’s existence, I have let go and can say I am better and yes, happier. One last quarter to go and we’ll check back at the start of 2016 and see. Getting there…