Preparing for the week ahead

I think this weekend was very productive.  I still have a pile of stuff to take care of in the bedroom, but I was able to take care of a lot of things in the kitchen and accomplished much in terms of taking care of supplies.  (I still need Alan to get some milk and bread, though.)  We usually do our groceries during the weekend but today was just so windy I didn’t have the energy to do it.

So instead I dealt with getting some chores done. 

Garlic for my instant sinangag.  One thing my mother-in-law taught me soon after I arrived here was how to make sinangag pronto, even if I were just making a cup for Alan.  Using freshly cooked or freshly heated rice from the rice cooker, I use 2 tablespoons of garlic in oil and then season with salt and pepper.  It actually works.  I usually have a cupful of this mixture, chopped garlic sauteed in cooking oil, steeping until I need it. I had run out and just had enough time to do a batch late Saturday night.

Ginisang Manok with Sotanghon.  Angel loves this if not nilagang baka.  Since we had enough beef last week, I thought I’d give him chicken this coming week.  I needed the sotanghon last night because my stomach was grumbling from the seafood I had in the antipasto, but I usually keep 2-3 days worth of ulam in the fridge.  We’re having chicken teriyaki tonight so I deboned the chicken leg quarters then boiled the bones with the leftover chicken meat and cut that up for later.  I set aside the sotanghon in the broth because my Mom taught me it literally absorbs the liquid it is in if you leave it with the soup.

We had pizza for lunch and the chicken teriyaki and leftover dumplings for dinner.  Angel was a littel difficult to coax to wind down but he’s now snoring beside me.  What I’d give to just enjoy a weekend without having to worry about doing the house chores myself.

It’s almost 9:30 and I have to start getting ready for tomorrow.  (Have to prepare the coffeemaker, get Angel’s stuff for daycare ready, get MY stuff for work ready, try to determine what to wear on a warm and windy day tomorrow, try to wash one shawl at least, and try to do the finishing stitches on my long delayed craft project — all in the next 2 hours… PHEW!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s