Wide awake at almost 2AM

I can’t sleep.  I’ve been trying to chat with one of my dearest friends, Demi, on Yahoo Messenger, but my connection has been rather erratic.  We finally had to give up when Angel stirred and I had to lull him back to sleep sometime midnight and Demi decided to grab some lunch.

I washed the woven placemats which is rather tedious considering they are thick yet delicate.  I rolled them up and put them up standing on the dish rack.  Tomorrow I will hang them to dry.

I feel like I’ve had a productive evening.  I have enough adobo for lunch tomorrow, and I plan to work on my beef short ribs with Mom’s new slow cooker.  I haven’t quite made up my mind if I will cook some sinigang or if I will fish for my Korean Beef recipe and try that instead.

It’s been raining again and the wind has been blowing.  While washing my placemats, I couldn’t help but try to go back to my first Saturday back home.  I couldn’t remember what I did for a minute there, but it came back to me soon enough.  I brought Angel to visit Dad at the parlor — had my manicure/pedicure, then off to lunch to have Congee at Luk Yuen in Greenhills.  We bought some groceries at Unimart (which, to my horror, no longer accepts American Express!) then home to get ready for Dino’s party in the evening.

Congee, chicken feet.. back to the place I grew up in — I couldn’t go shopping as much as I wanted to because Angel fell asleep soon after we arrived in Greenhills, and the Greenhills tiangge crowd isn’t exactly hospitable to strollers.  I got so paranoid that people coming at me from the opposite direction might ram my boy in the stroller, so I commanded one of my siblings to walk ahead of Angel and me.  That brought me to the reality that yes, I’m in Manila — where pedestrians are afraid of motorists (and not the other way around like here in the US), and people walk with no regard for children in strollers or the elderly.

Still, it was good to be home.  The congee with the wonton flakes tasted as good as I remembered it.  The chicken feet was okay but I didn’t even get to finish it.  Lunch was with Dad, Nikky, Ofie and Audrey — and that alone made it a treat in itself.

Time to hit the sack now, I guess. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s