This is a much-delayed second post following my 2016 kick off. I refuse to brand it an epic fail because the year is young, and I try not to be too hard on myself. As posted in the first iteration of this blog list, the point is to create a simple, doable and easily achieved checklist of things to do or start during the weekend, with a progress report due the following Friday. What for? The intention is to give you a sense of accomplishment at the end of the weekend, helping you to start the week off right. It’s also supposed to help you keep track of where the weekend went beyond the regular errands you have to run.
The rules: (1) Keep it simple. (Go through pantry and discard expired food. Pick up prescription. Mail that birthday card. Start this project. Throw that away.) (2) It must be doable. (You have the weekend only and the following week as an extension, so no tasks that will require a huge investment time-wise.) (3) Should involve only or mostly you. (Involving another person would mean depending on that person for the fulfillment of the task. This is about YOU.)
My first list and it’s progress report:
- Write Do. (BFF Donna who is in Australia.) This is a work in progress given how long I write. Yes, I still do snail mail.
- Create the matching piece for B. (Gave her a pair of freshwater pearl bracelets.) Just trying to find the right clasp.
- Read. (Book no. 1 was book no.2 of last year’s list.) Does taking the book out count? Ha!
- Sort clothes to keep or to give away. I’ve actually done well with this as I continue to try and sort my room out the way I want it. I used to take pride in being able to wear clothes year in and year out but now find that I have to be more conscious of something going out of fashion and resisting the urge to keep something because it cost an arm and a leg.
- Go through make up stash and discard old supplies. I love make up so it’s a little difficult to part with it, but part with it, I did. There are just lipsticks that discolor and whose consistency changes through the year, and there are broken make up palettes that will do you no good with all the powder it spreads around.
Okay, that wasn’t quite as painful as I thought it would be. So here’s this week’s Friday Five, and hopefully (fingers crossed), I will get things off the list faster and provide you an update next week.
First of all, I’m taking reading off the list. That shouldn’t be a weekend thing — it should be an everyday thing. (A blogpost forming in my head.)
Secondly, I am going to try and focus on very specific items this weekend. (Well, hoping..)
- Sort my ribbons. (Working on some incredibly gorgeous recycled sari ribbons to use for my necklaces. Can’t wait!)
- Sort my shoes. Some of them need to hit the dumpster soon.
- Label and organize the Christmas decor in the attic. Just so I’m not overwhelmed next year.
- Gather my loose postcards. Project brewing in my head.
- Mail some postcards home.
Glorious sunshine after such a wet and snowy morning. Mother Nature surprises us yet again. Give me some sunshine please. Happy Friday, everyone!