1. Read six books. – Read one. I tried. I do have the six I can start with in 2016. #FeelingOptimistic.
2. Take a trip to visit old girlfriends from SPCP/SPCQC — on my own — so that’s either Boston or California. – Boston is definitely on my list.. at least once.
3. Do another craft fair and learn new techniques. (Visit one, not sell in one.) – Hoping to do this in the Spring.
4. Take my little guy to ComicCon 2015. (Epic fail!)
5. Take at least one actual class beyond online. (Yes, Elaine.) Definitely in 2016. Whether it’s an actual sewing class with Peter U or a course at FIT or at the Lion Brand Store, I will.
6. Watch at least 1 concert — hopefully Billy Joel’s at Madison Square Garden.. –
7. Watch at least 1 play or musical on Broadway. And I saw God… =) – Act of God, actually! HAHA! Happiness.. Done! I am actually going to drop this for 2016 because I am already slated to watch a musicale this coming Saturday with my little guy.
8. Go to the gym at least once a week — and maybe even earn a locker! (Go 10x the previous month and you get YOUR OWN LOCKER the following month.) – With all the weight gained over the holidays, this is a MUST.
9. Lose another 10 lbs at least before April. (Lost over 20 in 2014!) – Need to work on this seriously in 2016.
11. Find a rehearsal studio and actually spend an hour just touching the piano keys again. – I have actually found the studio.. just haven’t found the time. Hoping to do this first quarter of 2016.
12. Spend a Saturday a month, on my own, just roaming NYC or some other place nearby. (Do something “only in New York”..) – This has been one of the easiest to do.
13. Leave one preloved book out in the open once a month for someone else to enjoy/read. – I must choose the books I will part with so that I can get this act of sharing books going.
14. Destash: Give 5 items away from my current stash (clothes, books, art supplies, postcards) every month. – I have started — sort of? Well, I need to be more systematic about this to make this work.
15. Write one letter long-hand every month. – Did not get to do this every month but did my fair share of longhand letters. Happy with the effort and the results but hope to do more in 2016.
I know it looks like I didn’t get anything accomplished given the updates regarding the 15 on my list, but I’m happy to have been able to focus on trying to get these things done. From the very beginning, I have tried not to be too hard on myself in keeping to the list, but I think the lack of progress should goad me to be more focused on what I will set out to do in 2016.
As I wrote on my Facebook wall as the year ended:
” 2015 had its challenges but I’d rather look at the gifts it brought my way like the lessons I learned. Some friends find it weird that I am thankful for the bad things that happened or the people who caused me so much pain and sorrow, but it is because of them that I found the courage to stand up on my own and be brave. I am in a better place now and I am much happier. I end the year knowing I am at peace with who and where I am. I am thankful for the love of family and friends which kept me going. To those who were there even when it was awkward, when they didn’t know what to say but who never left my side or let go of my hand, to those people I least expected to reach out and offer their kind words and support — I wish you and the ones you love the best of 2016. I am not quite there yet– my journey has just begun– but I am happy to be finally on my way.. Happy new year from Angelo and I.”
And while I have always kept our photos private — being careful not to post personal photos here, here’s one that I think is safe enough to share with the whole world as we bid 2015 goodbye, and say hello to 2016.